Cycling is a free, sociable, environmentally friendly form of exercise and transport. It is achievable by most and available to many.
In the past 21 years that I have been cycling in Chester and North Wales, I am aware of only a handful of people of my age who have become members - and few of them are women. Children, young people and ladies appear to be under-represented in cycling groups generally. Maybe it is the pressure of bringing up children, working, or a fear that cycling is too difficult, and that they will not be able to keep up with a group.
However, speed is not the be all and end all, and anyone of any age can participate and enjoy cycling. It is easy to start with short distances and a slow pace, and once hooked, this can grow.
The role of Development Officer is a new and evolving one. My mission is to support or initiate the introduction and development of cycling within communities in the Chester and North Wales CTC area. I am linking with other local cycling organisations as I believe it is important to utilise local resources. My initial contacts will centre in Chester, as this is where I live. As I have a family and work full-time, I need to set myself achievable goals. I envisage these partnerships to be complementary, not competitive - many members of these groups are members of the CTC already.
I would like to put together a newsletter periodically, to update my activities, how and with whom. I am always open to suggestions or support - I cannot do this on my own!
My short term goals are as follows:
- Linking with other local cycling groups and authorities, to raise awareness of CTC, and reciprocal arrangements of increasing knowledge among CTC members of our close cycling colleagues
- Participating in national and local cycle and sports events either in organising them, or being present with an information board and literature
- Developing posters and leaflets to promote the cycling activities of local groups
- Re-launching regular family rides through the summer months
- Maintaining the links between cycling groups in Chester and North Wales to bring riding groups closer through a consolidated rides list and joint events.
Please contact me with questions or ideas. Sue Booth - Development Officer